From:Backyard Bob Electronic:somehwrere -A- newjersey
Subject:RE: RE: RE: Can an old battery be brought back to life? Date:Sun Oct 9 20:49:53 2011
Response to:16435

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ....Epsom salts! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....what are we talking here? $75 bucks for a new battery? Turning lead sulphate back into lead? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....I'm dying here....would a sodium phosphate solution turn it into gold? (enema solution). You guys crack me up.

According to a major golf cart rebuilder, he got tired of paying $800 for a bank of batteries and learned how to rejuv old batteries. He says if they will hold a charge at all, they can more than likely be refurb'd. He uses , of all things, a EPSOM salt solution. Scientifically, the epsom salt creates a chemical reaction that causes the lead sulfate to turn back into lead. He offers a money back guarentee if you aren't happy with the deal, so ya can't go wrong. You can find him here


More than likely not. When a battery is fully charged the acid is kept away from the lead cells (specific gravity). When the charge drops the acid attacks the lead cells, is absorbed, and causes sulphation (lead rust anyone?) A fully charged battery never seems to need water..... an old, never had acid in it, battery can be brought back to life....I did that with an old Harley Big Twin battery once. If yours is an original I'd drain it and store it with your collectibles. It's not worth the hassle. P.S. Battery Tenders only work with fully charged batteries....and the lower-end ones don't even do that. I'm sure I'll get contradictions on this posting.

This is the one that it had after Mutt restored it about six years ago. After sitting on a 6v battery tender for about a year, it was dead. When we got it started the other day off a big battery charger, we moved it to the garage door and continued. During the move, someone turned off the power strip that the charger had been running off, but the headlight lit for a few seconds before the battery died. There's life in it!!!
I removed the it a few minutes ago. No water, as expected. Before doing anything, it measured 1.6v. After putting distilled water in it, I got 1.5v. It's on the 1.5A 6v battery tender now.
Can this battery be brought back to life, or should I start looking for a new replacement?