Clutch Cover Stuck

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Clutch Cover Stuck

Postby hlabarr » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Have a 57B cannot kick or shift, drive sprocket spins, crank works (piston traveling fine). Trying to get the clutch cover off and it appears to be hung up on the kicker shaft am I missing something or is there a trick to get the cover off. i get the cover to about 1/8th to 1/4 inches up the kicker shaft or cover does not spin at all and the kicker shaft does not seem to move in our out of the clutch cover i have sprayed PB blaster left overnight thinking that it may be gunked and frozen but still no movement.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
hlabarr

Re: Clutch Cover Stuck

Postby Mutt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:52 pm

it should come right off after removing the 5 side cover screws and kicker shifter levers
Mutt

Postby hlabarr » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:47 pm

That is what I assumed! I think the splines on the kicker shaft have gotten gunked up and are seizing in the cover hole. Guess I will try some heat and prying the cover up the shaft may very well be bent as well (just thinking that may be why it was left aside).

Thanks for your reply!
hlabarr

Postby Backyard Bob » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:56 pm

If you try prying use wood, not a metal tool. Metal will harm the aluminum.
Backyard Bob

Postby hlabarr » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes I can see where someone tried to get the cover off before, looks like screwdriver marks but no real gouging noticeable from what I can see. Have it soaking in PB Blaster and will give it another go in the am. It just seems like the cover will not let go of the starter shaft and slide off it will not even twist side to side in the slightest so it is seized there good.
hlabarr

Postby Backyard Bob » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Heat works wonders if you do a slow soak of the heat. Not too close with the torch. Take your time. PB Blaster is probably the best penetrant on the market. My only gripe with them, and I wrote them about it, is the propellant runs out before the liquid. They asked me the codes off the cans and I provided them. They sent me a case of six for free! It's still happening but when it does I drill a hole in the can and drain it into a small squirt bottle I saved. I also questioned them about not providing the small red tube any longer. They claimed they never did. I pointed out the cap on their cans still has the cutouts to hold the small red tube. I didn't get an answer to that one. Ha!
Backyard Bob

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running