Electrical Issues with 58 165 ST

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Electrical Issues with 58 165 ST

Postby cochrs » Fri May 26, 2023 12:37 pm

I recently got a 1958 165 ST that has been restored very nicely and appears correctly with NOS parts. Upon arrival, I had to install a new 6 volt battery and filled the transmission with oil. At that point, I checked out the ignition switch to see what worked and what did not. The head light worked, the horn did not work, the brake light worked but the rear light did not work when the headlignt was on. Then a few days later the horn started working for a couple of days then quit again without me doing anything to it. This is my first lightweight Harley and I am certainly not a mechanic. Any advise to check these out and possible repair them would need to be in very simple instructions. I do have a service manual and operator's manual for it. Any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanks!
cochrs

Re: Electrical Issues with 58 165 ST

Postby Jgeekie54 » Fri May 26, 2023 1:04 pm

1st place to start. Check all your grounds.
Jgeekie54

Re: Electrical Issues with 58 165 ST

Postby 250_Sprint » Fri May 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Congratulation and enjoy the ride…
Replace the light bulb and see if it is just the bulbs element.
If not, consult the wire diagram in your service book to make sure the tail/brake lamp has all the wires connected.
As far as the horn goes, when bikes sit, the electric contacts electricity passes through can get oxidized, tarnished, and not allow electricity to flow. The contacts in the horn button may need to be cleaned in order to function properly.
Test the operation of the horn by putting 6V directly to the horn.
Again, refer to the wire diagram in the manual.
Keep us posted.
250_Sprint

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running