IMG_7369.jpeg
IMG_7369.jpeg (75.66 KiB) Viewed 40074 times

And after the adjustment.
IMG_7370.jpeg
IMG_7370.jpeg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 40074 times
MrMarty51

Re: Adjusting points gap the MrMarty51 way. LOL

Postby Mutt » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:14 am

thats a better way than a feeler gauge !!!
Mutt

Postby MrMarty51 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:11 pm

Mutt wrote:thats a better way than a feeler gauge !!!

Thats the same method I use for adjusting solid lifter rocker arms too.
MrMarty51

Postby Backyard Bob » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:32 pm

The old days we eyeballed it and said 'close enough'. For some reason they all ran... and that included the tractors. Yes, sandpaper to the points was required as sometimes the tractors sat for a season until needed.
Dial indicators on a Hummer?
I love it.
Backyard Bob

Postby pumpguy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:08 pm

+1. Good for checking ignition timing too.
pumpguy

Postby MrMarty51 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:10 pm

pumpguy wrote:+1. Good for checking ignition timing too.

I have had that thought in Mine head.
I guess is what I need is an adapter to thread into the sparking plug hole and then for an accurate measure on how far down the bore the piston sets, the dial indicator would need to be just about perfectly vertical to the cylinder.
So, the dial indictor hole to check the height of the piston would have to be drilled at an angle in the adapter to make it so that the dial indicator would be just about a perfect 180 degrees as compared to the top of the piston.
In other words, straight up and down, so to speak.
Most times I cant figure the words to use to make the statements correct to what I see in My minds eye.
If someone with the milling, drilling and lathing machinery could produce something like that I would surely purchase one of those.
About the only other way that I can see to get a perfect measure from the top of the bore to the top of the piston would be to pull the head and measure from there.
If the head gaskets on the Hummer is a reusable unit then a new gasket would not be needed each time the timing is checked.
By adjusting the gap on the points has made the engine start much easier and it changed the note of the exhaust.
Now I am not sure if the timing is correct. I would hope so. I do believe that with the points gap at 0.013 that the ignition was firing real soon and could possibly have created some preignition problems in a short period of time. Possibly a hole through a piston.
MrMarty51

Postby pumpguy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:51 pm

Get yourself some copper sheeting about the same thickness as an OEM head gasket. Then cut the sheeting to the same shape as the head gasket. Then anneal it by heating it red hot. Quench in water or let it air cool, doesn't matter.

You now have a reusable head gasket. Whenever you take the head off, clean it off with some steel wool or Skotchbrite, anneal as before, and you're good to go again.
pumpguy

Postby troymessina » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:46 am

If you're good with CAD, you can draw a dial holder to go into the spark plug hole. There are online 3D printer services. Just upload your file, and your part is shipped to you. Or you could have it CNC machined by submitting your drawing online, but that's more expensive. The days of knowing your machinist may be over. Here's one someone already drew up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4849262
troymessina

Postby MrMarty51 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:44 am

pumpguy wrote:Get yourself some copper sheeting about the same thickness as an OEM head gasket. Then cut the sheeting to the same shape as the head gasket. Then anneal it by heating it red hot. Quench in water or let it air cool, doesn't matter.

You now have a reusable head gasket. Whenever you take the head off, clean it off with some steel wool or Skotchbrite, anneal as before, and you're good to go again.

On My british bikes I was always able to purchase copper head gaskets, always used the turkey deep fryer burner and a 3/8ths thick chunk of steel laid acros the top of the burner, set the copper head gasket on the steel then heat it all as hot as the burner would go, then, use the bernzomatic torch to finish heating the gasket until it changed color, if it didnt change color from the deep fryer burner. wipe it down with some steel wool and ready to go, again. :)
MrMarty51

Postby MrMarty51 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:48 am

troymessina wrote:If you're good with CAD, you can draw a dial holder to go into the spark plug hole. There are online 3D printer services. Just upload your file, and your part is shipped to you. Or you could have it CNC machined by submitting your drawing online, but that's more expensive. The days of knowing your machinist may be over. Here's one someone already drew up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4849262

That looks to be a mighty fine example of a dial indicator holder. I just wonder though, how far off will the measurement be with the dial indicator being inserted into the cylinder at an angle ?
Is it enough to really matter ? Maybe a thousandths or two wouldnt make a difference ?
Ot ehrs with more knowledge than I might give us some idea.
What methods of timing measurement do the professionals use on these engines ?
MrMarty51

Next

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running