Ignition switch

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Re: Ignition switch

Postby Clarks3 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:30 pm

My problem is still here and what sucks is I know it is a simple problem because I have wired this bike before I painted it and rode it around for a while with my tail lights working headlight working horn working then decided to strip her down and paint it put it back together and have had this issue ever since no horn no tail light so I ran straight power to the tail light to see if it worked it works I can't get my horn to work but I put a test light on it and it lights up I know power is getting to it my number one question here is I do not have a fuse ran to the regulator can that be my issue? Because I swapped out the old Armature just to verify it wasn't grounding on anything and put another one in also changed the generator to see if that my issue after I wired everything back up I'm still getting the same problem
Clarks3

Postby Mutt » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:39 pm

does the brake light work now? If not, discconect the wire on the brake light switch (the one that does NOT run to the tail light), Run a hot wire to that place on the switch and see if the brake light works then. then un hook all the wires from your horn. Test the horn with a 6v battery charger or use 2 jumper wires from your battery. Red lead to one horn terminal, black to ther termonal. doesnt matter which lead goes on which terminal
Mutt

Postby Clarks3 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:31 pm

I removed the red wire that comes from the horn to the brake switch and I ran a direct hot wire to the brake switch leaving the red wire to the tail light I pushed the brake nothing happened so I touched a extra ground wire from the negative post of my battery and touched it on my green Junction terminal pressed the brake it works when I remove that extra ground wire to the green Junction terminal my brake light does not work the rear tail light is not grounding for some reason
Clarks3

Postby Mutt » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:58 pm

The green wire(in the loom under the fender) is for the tail lamp, red wire is for brake light.
Mutt

Postby Clarks3 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:48 pm

So what would be the reason it's working when I ground the green tail lamp wire and when it's not grounded it does not work?
Clarks3

Postby Backyard Bob » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:07 pm

Grounding problem? Try a couple of star style lock washers under your tail light mounting screw nuts. I don't know if this will solve your problem with the headlight though.
Backyard Bob

Postby Clarks3 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:44 pm

I put the washers on the tail light bracket scratch the paint where the screws bolted down I never got a ground I'm curious on why my black wire that comes from the ignition coil to the junction terminal and then from The Junction terminal to the generator makes my lights dim out when they are connected when I unconnect them my headlight gets really bright my tail light never turns on though
Clarks3

Postby Backyard Bob » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:53 pm

At this point I feel you're beset by gremlins. All kidding aside you need to start from square one. Trash your wiring harness and order a new one. I had a problem with my washing machine once and did everything I could. Being an industrial mechanic it rubbed me the wrong way when I had to go online and ask for help from a factory (retired) rep. He told me to replace the wiring harness.
It worked.
Backyard Bob

Postby 250_Sprint » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:49 am

Replace the existing harness or run the risk of causing damage to the regulator or burning bulbs or harness.
You are already at the level of aggravation and not being able to enjoy your bike.

If you don’t want to replace the harness and want to fix what you have, walk away from the project for a few days and clear your mind.
Study your wire diagram for days then have it nearby when you start to troubleshoot one circuit at a time.
Take your time. Don’t be rushed. Take notes so you don’t repeat something which did’t work.
Don’t move to the next circuit until the first one is working properly.
It will take a lot of time and patience and little money.

Replacing the harness takes little time and patience and some $$$.

It is your call.
250_Sprint

Previous

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running