Ignition switch

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Ignition switch

Postby Clarks3 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:05 pm

Hello I had a question regarding my 1953 st165 everything worked prior to me having some parts on the bike removed and painted now that it is back together I am having an issue with my horn not working and my brake light rear running light not working also when I turn the ignition switch to the first click on position my headlight comes on and stays on when I go to Second click is it possible my ignition switch is bad?
Thank you all in advance
Clarks3

Re: Ignition switch

Postby Mutt » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:11 pm

No, you most likely have it wired wrong at the switch. See wiring section for the 53 wiring diagram
Mutt

Postby Clarks3 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Thank you for the reply mutt I overlooked the wiring and check the book everything seems fine so I changed the ignition switch just to make sure and I'm still getting the same issue front headlight comes on first click and stays on until I turn the bike off tail light does not come on nor does the brake light work now I don't understand when I ground the green Junction terminal and push the brake it works
Clarks3

Postby Mutt » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:19 pm

you should have the red wire (hot) going to terminal #1 on the switch. A yellow wire on terminal #2 that goes from the switch to the terminal plate on the front side of the coil. Unhook the other 2 wires (green and black) from the ignition switch terminals. Turn switch 2 clicks CW. The head light (lo/hi beam) should work as should the horn and brake light. Try that and get back to us
Last edited by Mutt on Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mutt

Postby 250_Sprint » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:06 pm

Some thoughts:
Is it possible you have the switch rotated 180 degrees causing you to misidentify the terminals?
Have you tested the switch with a trouble light or continuity tester?

You don’t mention what parts were painted. Is it possible you accidentally painted a point of ground?
We’re wires pinched upon reassembly?

Have you tested the non-operating horn and light directly to a power source eliminating a defective horn or burnt bulb?
The horn button contacts may have oxidized.
When it comes to electrons, never assume anything.
Test for a power supply… you already have that with functioning head light.
Test each feature directly to a power source to eliminate a defective switch, horn, light bulb.
Test continuity of each wire in the circuit.

Power and ground are the only things needed for an electric device to function.
Throw in some rust or oxidation or paint (all will slow down or block electrons) and the electric gremlins will throw a party.
250_Sprint

Postby Clarks3 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:07 pm

I removed the black and green wire from the ignition and now the light does not come on when I turn the ignition clockwise to the on position or does it get spark second click position turns the headlight on as it should and it gets Spark tail light does not work or stop light. Is it possible it could be my brake switch not grounding correctly?
Clarks3

Postby Mutt » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:39 pm

the stop light switch does not have to be grounded. It just makes a connection. You definately have a wiring issue
Mutt

Postby 250_Sprint » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:08 pm

You might end up chasing your tail chasing electric problems if you first don’t verify the functionality of the key switch, horn button, horn, brake light switch, and tail/brake bulb.
Once all devices are confirmed functional you can trace the wiring.
Don’t forget to check the wire connections on the fender terminals, if you still use them. Make sure the insulators are insulating and wire terminals are clean.
Oxidation, rust, paint, oil will cause great resistance.
Mounting surfaces used for ground need to be clean for a good metal to metal contact, or the gremlins will throw a party.
250_Sprint

Postby Clarks3 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:17 am

I went ahead and checked the horn switch for any kind of oxidation corrosion even gave it a smooth little wipe down did that with the rear light as well. There is definitely a wiring problem here the rear stop light works when I put a small ground from the green Junction terminal to my black ground wire push the brake it works remove that ground it does not work also could my problem be that I am running the green wire that goes to the regulator(F) terminal without a fuse I'm running it straight to the terminal? Sorry for all the questions and thank you all again
Clarks3

Postby Mutt » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:44 pm

scrap the paint off both sides of the bottom mounting hole on the tail light bracket and the same hole on the rear fender. Reinstall
Mutt

Next

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running