Wiring help

Here's where to ask questions and get answers

Re: Wiring help

Postby Backyard Bob » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:33 pm

The magneto puts out A/C current. The horn you have works on D/C current.
Backyard Bob

Postby Mutt » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:00 am

Because the horn you have runs off DC current. The magneto puts out AC current
Mutt

Postby troymessina » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:58 pm

I would guess the DC horn will make noise with the magneto. It might sound funny. The DC horn isn't loud enough even when properly powered. You could build a diode rectifier for a few dollars if you want to use your DC horn. There are probably cheap 6V rectifiers made for Japanese bikes that would work too. It all depends on how much you want keep it original.
troymessina

Postby pumpguy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:34 pm

There are all kinds of rechargeable LI batteries that can be used on a constant loss basis to power a DC horn. IIRC, DC horns are much louder than AC types. Same for turn signals if you want those too. There's a write up on Thumper Talk on Constant Loss lighting for Dirt Bikes that gives the details. Batteries can range from a real small one for powering RC cars to larger ones for powering cam corders and other applications.

For a Regulator Rectifier, you might contact TrailTech and tell them what you're trying to do. IME, Trailtech's tech support is quite good; at least they were for me. You could try Ricky Stator too.

The real question is, is the wattage output and voltage from your Hummer's coils enough for a lash up like this to really charge a battery. On this, I have no clue.
pumpguy

Postby Mutt » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:14 pm

troymessina wrote:I would guess the DC horn will make noise with the magneto. It might sound funny. The DC horn isn't loud enough even when properly powered. You could build a diode rectifier for a few dollars if you want to use your DC horn. There are probably cheap 6V rectifiers made for Japanese bikes that would work too. It all depends on how much you want keep it original.

Maybe your horn needs to be cleaned. The Delco Remy Model 16 started out as a car horn in 1930 on a Plymouth. If cleaned and adjusted properly, it's as loud as most car horns
Mutt

Postby Backyard Bob » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:02 pm

A lot of options here. Are you looking for an 'options bike' to putt around on or do a correct restoration? From what I've read here, another option is to sell/replace your engine and repaint the gas tank with the proper decals for the year.
Backyard Bob

Postby hennesse » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:27 pm

Brian,

Look in the "How To Restore : Chapter 66 - Wiring" section of this website. Down at the bottom, you will find a new entry, "Hummer motor in a Model 125 chassis". Click that, and you will find a wiring diagram, and a lot of notes, for your situation.

Hope this helps.

Dave
hennesse
Site Admin

Postby troymessina » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:12 am

Mutt wrote:
troymessina wrote:I would guess the DC horn will make noise with the magneto. It might sound funny. The DC horn isn't loud enough even when properly powered. You could build a diode rectifier for a few dollars if you want to use your DC horn. There are probably cheap 6V rectifiers made for Japanese bikes that would work too. It all depends on how much you want keep it original.

Maybe your horn needs to be cleaned. The Delco Remy Model 16 started out as a car horn in 1930 on a Plymouth. If cleaned and adjusted properly, it's as loud as most car horns

I'll check the cleaning and tuning. Thanks.
troymessina

Postby brian4.2 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:04 pm

Thank you to all for the help. I am going to use the parts I have. The 125 engine and carburetor were rebuilt for my son-in-law in 2011 by Mr. Hallam, It has not been started. Im assuming thats you Mutt? I will find a pacer horn if the one I have is not correct for this magneto. I understand it is not a "correct" restoration.

Special thanks to Dave Hennesse (and Mutt) for the detailed write-up, and the work done on that custom wiring diagram. I greatly appreciate the effort.

[quote="hennesse"]Brian,
Look in the "How To Restore : Chapter 66 - Wiring" section of this website. Down at the bottom, you will find a new entry, "Hummer motor in a Model 125 chassis". Click that, and you will find a wiring diagram, and a lot of notes, for your situation.
Hope this helps.
Dave/quote]
brian4.2

Postby brian4.2 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:09 pm

Could I get someone to have a look at this wiring before I button up this side? I think I have it right.

The black wire with the "knife" connector confused me. I am assuming it goes to the AC/ horn.

I am not at all familiar with AC wiring on a motorcycle.

Also how do I identify this horn? (AC or DC)

Brian
Attachments
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0283.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
IMG_0281.jpg
IMG_0281.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
brian4.2

PreviousNext

Return to HELP with Restoration and Running